Spiced Pumpkin & Apple Soup
It’s that time of year again. With things being so very different this year, treat yourselves to some homemade healthy soup.
As well as providing you with some of your seven a day it is also very economical to make, using the flesh from all that pumpkin carving and windfall apples.
For the adults I highly recommend using cider to make this soup, however, for the children vegetable stock is a better option.
To finish the soup, toast some bread, using a cookie cutter, stamp out to ghostly shapes, Sprinkle with grated cheese or a vegan alternative, float on tp of individual bowls of soup.
Dairy free, gluten free, Vegetarian, vegan. Serves 6-8
- 1kg Pumpkin flesh
- 1 Large Potato, peeled & diced
- 2 Large Bramley Apple., peeled & chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled & diced
- 1 Large Carrot. Chopped
- 2 Sticks Celery. Chopped
- 2 Sage leaves
- 1 Tbspn Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbspn Curry powder
- 1/2 tspn grated nutmeg.
- 1.5 Ltrs Vegetable Stock or for the adults. 1/2 veg stock & 1/2 Cider.
- 3tbspns Rapeseed Oil.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, over a medium heat.
- Add the vegetables & fruit. Fry for 5mins.
- Sprinkle in the spices & fry for a further 3mins, stirring regularly.
- Add the liquid(s). Bring to the boil, turn down the heat, simmer for 45mins.
- Remove from heat, blend in a liquidiser or with a stick until smooth.
- Season to taste and serve.
Should the soup be to thick for your liking, thin down with extra veg stock.